The Toastmaster Table
Georgian Wine Tour
Saturate yourself in oenology on this enophiles odyssey to explore the ancient wine culture of Georgia. Meander through Tbilisi’s wine scene with leisurely visits to cellar doors, wine bar crawls and a visit to a winery in the old capital of Mtskheta. Journey to Telavi, Georgia’s premiere wine destination for long lunches, wanders through the vines and of course tastings a plenty! Visit some of Georgia’s lesser known sites (and lesser known wineries) including the Chiatura Cable Cars and Mgvimevi Convent, as well as a tour and tasting at the fabulous Prince Alexander Chavchavadze House Museum.
What better way to immerse yourself in the viticulture of Georgia but to stay at Chateaus, complete with vineyard and wine themed hotels with fully stocked cellars, offering you the opportunity to taste as often as possible on this unrivaled Georgian wine tour.
GEORGIAN WINE TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Learn about the ancient art of Georgian oenology, view the process of winemaking in huge underground vessels called ‘Kvevri’ and then taste amongst Georgia’s beautiful scenery
- Visit some of Georgia’s best wineries, from the world renowned ‘Pheasants Tears’ cellar door in Telavi to the small lesser known ‘Iago’s Winery’ (our owner’s personal favourite) near Ananuri
- Explore some of Georgia’s lesser visited sights with a visit to the old capital of Mtskheta, the Joseph Stalin Museum in Gori and the cable cars of Chaitura
- Let yourself ‘breathe’ with plenty of free time to explore the destinations on this trip and of course seek out your own enophile’s adventure
- On this Georgian wine tour, stay in wine themed hotels (complete with wine cellars), guest houses and Chateaus
Trip style: Special Interest
Max group size: 15
Duration: 16 Days
Trip style: Special Interest – Wine
Group size: Minimum 6 / Maximum 15
Trip code: TTTT
Cost: $7395.00 AUD twin share
Single supplement: $899.00 AUD
- 15-nights accommodation in wine themed hotels, chateaus and guesthouses
- Meals and tastings as specified in itinerary (B = Breakfast / L = Lunch / D = Dinner)
- Some drinks with meals
- Wine tastings as specified in the itinerary
- All entrance fees and transportation
- Services of your Inverted Atlas trip leader and local guides
Optional experiences (not included):
- Tbilisi: Sulphur baths
Trip price does not include
- International airfares or domestic airfares
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
- Visa for Georgia (if required)
- Any expenses associated with COVID-19
- Meals not included as per trip itinerary including drinks and mini bar
- Additional accommodation before or after the tour
- Items of a personal nature including but not limited to laundry, souvenirs, porterage etc.
- Travel insurance – please note comprehensive travel insurance is a condition of travel with Inverted Atlas
Journey Rating – Wander
This trip travels though Georgia and its wine country and we do not anticipate this trip to be strenuous on any level. Accommodation on this trip is of a good standard with no sharing at any time. We travel via the use of an air-conditioned vehicle and will travel from Kutaisi back to Tbilisi on a comfortable local train. Most meals are included along with tastings where specified in the itinerary. There is plenty of free time to rest or explore on your own so you are unlikely to get worn out by rigorous sightseeing you might find on other trips.
People following vegan, vegetarian and gluten free diets can be accommodated on this trip, provided this is advised to Inverted Atlas at the time of booking.
A note about fitness
This Georgian wine tour requires a moderate level of physical fitness. You should be able to walk up to 3km during sightseeing and manage uneven surfaces. You may also run into an eastern style squat toilet in public areas occasionally (beware if you have knee issues). Amenities in Georgia will be similar to what you would find at home and this trip should be within the comfort zone of most travellers.
You will need to be able to carry your own luggage to and from the vehicle and into the accommodation, as well as on and off the train. (Due to OH&S regulations our trip leaders are not able to assist with luggage.)
In addition, you should be in good health, with no major chronic conditions requiring frequent medical attention. While all our trip leaders are required to have a valid first aid certificate, they are far from doctors and any assistance they are able to provide will be limited to basic first aid. For more information please see our booking conditions.
Traveling by yourself? No problem, we love single travellers and don’t believe in penalising them by charging half the trip price again for our single supplement. With us you are only paying the actual cost to have a room all to yourself. If you’re up for making a new friend, you can elect to share with another single traveller of the same sex and only pay the twin-share price. The choice is yours!
Trip leader description
Accompanying you along your Georgian wine tour will be your Inverted Atlas trip leader. Your trip leader is a logistics extraordinaire, keeps the trip running smoothly and ensures you have the best time possible on your trip. It is important to know that while your trip leader has the best job in the world, they aren’t actually on holidays, but rather they are there to make sure you have the best time while you are on your holiday! Your trip leader may at times need some time out so that they can complete back of house tasks that ensure everyone continues to enjoy the trip. It is also your trip leaders’ job to handle any issues (heaven forbid!) that come up while you’re on your trip like:
- If you lose your passport or other travel documents
- If there is a problem with your room at the booked accommodation – seriously please tell your trip leader don’t wait until you leave
- If you become unwell and need to find a pharmacy
- Assisting with restaurant recommendations or additional sightseeing during free time
- Questions regarding the itinerary
Your trip leader will have some good local knowledge about the destination in which you are traveling, however they are not a ‘local guide’. You’re welcome to ask your trip leader anything about the trip and if they don’t know they will find out and get back to you. Other people you will meet along the way are ‘local guides’ who are generally available to the group in specific towns or at specific sites like national parks, temples or archaeological sites. These people are the local experts and will be able to answer any questions you may have about the history and culture of a specific site.
This itinerary for this Georgian wine tour is correct at the time of upload to our website and we have composed it in good faith. From time to time we may elect to make changes before departure, if we are making a big change we will of course notify you, however if it is a small change this will be reflected in the final trip notes. So, make sure you download these prior to departure. Small changes prior to departure are usually made with the groups best interests in mind and come about due to liaising with our best resources – our past travelers and of course our trip leaders! The ability to change and evolve depending on what our travelers enjoy is what makes us such a great trip operator.
While we strive to operate our trips exactly to the letter of the itinerary, sometimes we may need to make changes on the ground while the group is on the road. This is all part of the adventure of traveling and we would ask that you come on your trip with an open mind and a good sense of humour because as much as we want it to, everything doesn’t always go to plan. In fact, these impromptu situations often make the best stories that you can have a laugh with your friends about later.
Minimum Age: 18 years
Due to the theme of this trip (Wine) we are only accepting travellers 18 years or older.
There is no upper age limit for this trip, but you should consider the above fitness requirements prior to booking. If you are 65 years or over, you will be asked to complete our Health Check Form and have your medical practitioner sign it to confirm you are in good health and able to participate safely on this trip.
Please note that comprehensive travel insurance is a condition of travel with Inverted Atlas. Insurance must include provision for medical situations, emergency medical repatriation to your home country and personal liability at a minimum. Proof of valid travel insurance will be requested by your trip leader on arrival at the pre-departure meeting. Please have this paperwork available for them. If you are unable to provide proof of comprehensive travel insurance, you may not be allowed to join the trip and no refund will be payable.