Tale of a Tear Shaped Island
In-depth Tour of Sri Lanka
Explore the ancient cities of Anurdhapura and Polonnaruwa and survey vast jungles from the top of the Sigiriya rock fortress on this quest to the far reaches of mythical Shangri-La in Sri Lanka. Journey to the far north of the island to Jaffna to witness the sinking church and discover the remote islands of Delft and Nagadeepa. Meet a local Sri Lankan martial arts master, taste Sri Lankan cuisine in a private spice garden and catch the train from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, a track which is truly a marvel of engineering.
Stay in traditionally-inspired and heritage-listed hotels, join a local village family for dinner and try seafood on the beach on this tour of Sri Lanka.
- Seek out the ancient cities of Anurdhapura and Polonnaruwa and make the ascent to the top of the Sigiriya rock fortress
- Watch the auction hype at the fish markets in Jaffna, explore the chilled out town of Ella and learn to cook traditional Sri Lankan cuisine at a private spice garden
- Catch the scenic (and now famous) train from bustling Kandy to the laid-back town of Nuwara Eliya, marvelling at the construction of the line and bridges the train passes over
- Stay in traditionally-inspired hotels and eat local cuisine across a varied selection that incorporates some of Sri Lanka’s best restaurants to a scenic picnic
Trip style: Unique
Max group size: 15
Duration: 17 Days
Trip style: Unique
Group size: Minimum 6 / Maximum 15
Trip code: TICC
Cost: $6935.00 AUD twin share
Single supplement: $1753.00 AUD
- 16-nights accommodation in heritage and traditionally inspired hotels
- Airport transfer from Colombo international airport to Negambo hotel on arrival
- Tickets for the train Kandy to Nanu Oya
- All applicable entrance fees for sites listed in the itinerary
- Meals as specified in itinerary (B = Breakfast / L = Lunch / HT = High Tea D = Dinner)
- Services of your Inverted Atlas trip leader and local guides
- All government and hotel taxes
Optional experiences (not included):
- Hot air balloon ride in Kandy
- Galle: Whale Watching (from Galle)
* Please note some optional experiences must be booked prior to travel.
Trip price does not include
- International airfares
- Airport transfers on departure
- Visa for Sri Lanka
- Meals not included as per trip itinerary including drinks and mini bar
- Additional accommodation before or after the tour
- Items of a personal nature including but not limited to laundry, souvenirs, porterage etc.
- Travel insurance – please note comprehensive travel insurance is a condition of travel with Inverted Atlas
Journey Rating – Journey
This is a tour of Sri Lanka, a country that is accustomed to tourists and travellers. We will still be off the beaten path at times, however for most of the trip we shouldn’t be out of our comfort zone too much. This trip does involve a lot of walking during the sightseeing and has some light trekking included. To get the most out of this trip you should be able to walk confidently across uneven surfaces and climb stairs. At times women may be required to wear a floor-length skirt to enter temples and places of worship and you may encounter the odd squat toilet during unscheduled roadside toilet breaks.
Good quality hospitals, pharmacies and other public amenities will be limited to big cities but should never be too far away.
A note about fitness
This tour of Sri Lanka requires a good level of physical fitness. You should be able to walk up to 4km over at times, uneven surfaces during sightseeing, which will sometimes be at an incline. In addition, you should be able to climb up to 200 stairs unassisted and use an eastern style squat toilet (beware if you have knee issues).
You will need to be able to carry your own luggage to and from the coach and on and off the train. (Due to OH&S regulations our trip leaders are not able to assist with luggage.)
In addition, on this tour of Sri Lanka you should be in good health, with no major chronic conditions requiring frequent medical attention. This trip often travels through remote locations where the availability of a hospital or even phone reception to call an ambulance is limited. While all our trip leaders are required to have a valid first aid certificate, they are far from doctors and any assistance they are able to provide will be limited to basic first aid. For more information please see our booking conditions.
Traveling by yourself? No problem, we love single travellers and don’t believe in penalising them by charging half the trip price again for our single supplement. With us you are only paying the actual cost to have a room all to yourself. If you’re up for making a new friend, you can elect to share with another single traveller of the same sex and only pay the twin-share price. The choice is yours!
Trip leader description
Accompanying you along your tour of Sri Lanka will be your Inverted Atlas trip leader. Your trip leader is a logistics extraordinaire, keeps the trip running smoothly and ensures you have the best time possible on your trip. It is important to know that while your trip leader has the best job in the world, they aren’t actually on holidays, but rather they are there to make sure you have the best time while you are on your holiday! Your trip leader may at times need some time out so that they can complete back of house tasks that ensure everyone continues to enjoy the trip. It is also your trip leaders’ job to handle any issues (heaven forbid!) that come up while you’re on your trip like:
- If you lose your passport or other travel documents
- If there is a problem with your room at the booked accommodation – seriously please tell your trip leader don’t wait until you leave
- If you become unwell and need to find a pharmacy
- Assisting with restaurant recommendations or additional sightseeing during free time
- Questions regarding the itinerary
Your trip leader will have some good local knowledge about the destination in which you are traveling, however they are not a ‘local guide’. You’re welcome to ask your trip leader anything about the trip and if they don’t know they will find out and get back to you. Other people you will meet along the way are ‘local guides’ who are generally available to the group in specific towns or at specific sites like national parks, temples or archaeological sites. These people are the local experts and will be able to answer any questions you may have about the history and culture of a specific site.
The itinerary for this tour of Sri Lanka is correct at the time of upload to our website and we have composed it in good faith. From time to time we may elect to make changes before departure, if we are making a big change we will of course notify you, however if it is a small change this will be reflected in the final trip notes. So, make sure you download these prior to departure. Small changes prior to departure are usually made with the groups best interests in mind and come about due to liaising with our best resources – our past travelers and of course our trip leaders! The ability to change and evolve depending on what our travelers enjoy is what makes us such a great trip operator.
While we strive to operate our trips exactly to the letter of the itinerary, sometimes we may need to make changes on the ground while the group is on the road. This is all part of the adventure of traveling and we would ask that you come on your trip with an open mind and a good sense of humour because as much as we want it to, everything doesn’t always go to plan. In fact, these impromptu situations often make the best stories that you can have a laugh with your friends about later.
Minimum Age: 16 years
There is no shared accommodation on this tour of Sri Lanka, and we will be traveling through a relatively well-travelled part of the world, in this instance we would welcome everyone above the age of 16 years. Should you wish to bring younger children, please give us a call.
There is no upper age limit for this trip, but you should consider the above fitness requirements prior to booking. If you are 65 years or over, you will be asked to complete our Health Check Form and have your medical practitioner sign it to confirm you are in good health and able to participate safely on this trip.
Please note that comprehensive travel insurance is a condition of travel with Inverted Atlas. Insurance must include provision for medical situations, emergency medical repatriation to your home country and personal liability at a minimum. Proof of valid travel insurance will be requested by your trip leader on arrival at the pre-departure meeting. Please have this paperwork available for them. If you are unable to provide proof of comprehensive travel insurance, you may not be allowed to join the trip and no refund will be payable.